“Sex addiction is a disease affecting the mind, body, and spirit. It is progressive, with the behaviour and its consequences usually becoming more severe over time. We experience it as compulsion, which is a mental preoccupation with sexual behaviour and fantasies. In SAA, we have come to call our addictive sexual behaviour acting out.” – Sex Addicts Anonymous, p.3
Who is a Sex addict?
There are numerous ways in which sex addicts can act out, however, there are common elements that seem to characterize our addiction
- Powerlessness over addictive sexual behaviour
- Unmanageability of his/her life
- Feelings of shame, pain, and self-loathing
- Broken promises and failed attempts to stop acting out behaviour
- Preoccupation with sex leading to ritual
- Progressive worsening of negative consequences
Not sure if you are a sex addict?
Click here to complete a self-assessment